Monday, January 17, 2011

This is So Hot

For the past couple of months I've been going to Bikram hot yoga classes. They are 90 minutes long and made up of a series of 26 poses which are done in a room which is heated to about 95- 100 Farenheit.

There are numerous benefits of doing this class one of which is to detoxify the body. If you've read my last two blogs, you'll see that apparently I'm really into detoxifying lately (even though I seem to enjoy ingesting toxins).

What I do like about the class is that I leave feeling incredibly calm and relaxed (likely this could be achieved by simply having a glass of wine but for some reason I didn't think of that before I joined the studio...bummer).

These types of classes are very different than most yoga classes or fitness classes. In an effort to keep my readers informed, I am sharing my obeservations:

  1. Most people who go to these classes, especially the regulars, are basically naked. I envy their comfort with their bodies and their ability to strip down to next than nothing in front of strangers. Sadly, there's no one who looks like Jake Gylenhal or Ryan Renyolds in any of the classes I've attended. Their lack of a wardrobe also gets me thinking...will I one day be one of these people? I currently have a strong attachment to clothing when in public. Not sure if that makes me odd or not.

  2. One of the male instructors wears a Speedo-like bottom and nothing else. Am I the only one who finds this distracting, perplexing and even a tad disturbing?

  3. The teachers are mean. They don't let you talk, wipe the sweat from your brow and you can only drink water when told. They also tell you not to leave the room. It's like you're in the military. Yet we all put up with this. Why? Why don't we all revolt? What would they do...not let us practice yoga?

  4. The yoga people are very serious. Smiling is rare. I try to smile as much as possible just to throw everyone off.

  5. Apparently the studio I'm at was rated one of the top places in my city to pick up. Really? I'm covered in sweat, my mascara is running so I look like I'm part of a low-grade-Canadian-horror flick and my hair is wet and dishelved . Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm not smelling the best. And I'm hoping a man finds me attractive like this...how desparate would he have to be?

1 comment: